The Town of Burns is located in Allegany County, New York. The population was 1,180 at the 2010 Census. The Town is named after Scots poet Robert Burns. The area of Burns was first settled in 1805. From the beginning, Canaseraga was the major settlement in the town. The town was formed in 1826 from part of the town of Ossian in Livingston County.